1 pound dried red beans
1 1/2 cups of water
1 cup sliced celery
1 large onion chopped
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 bay leaves
2 Tablespoons Creole Seasoning (Tony Chacherie's is the best)
1 Tablespoon vegetable oil
1 pound Koegel's Italian Sausage, Polish Sausage, or even Viennas, diced
1/2 cup diced green pepper
Salt to taste
2 cups long grain white rice
1. Rinse the beans, removing any stones or malformed beans
2. Put the beans, water, celery, onion, garlic, bay leaves, and seasoning in a slow cooker. Cover and cook on LOW for 6-7 hours, or 3 1/2-5 hours on HIGH.
3. After cooking, heat the oil in a skillet over medium heat. Add your Koegel's, stirring until it is nicely browned.
4. Add the meat and green peppers to the slow cooker. Taste, and add 2-3 teaspoons of salt, to taste.
5. Cook on low for 1-2 hours.
6. Cook the rice according to the directions.
7. Plate the rice, and then spoon the bean and meat mixture over the top, including the gravy.
It goes great with fresh cornbread!
Submitted By: William Daniels
Thank you for your interest in Koegel employment opportunities. Koegel maintains a comprehensive compensation package.